Friday, February 8, 2013

Homemade Sloppy Joes

Hello again!
I'm on a roll this week aren't I?
I'm pretty proud of myself actually. Is that a bad thing? I hope not! I think my mood about this blog has changed a lot since the beginning of this year. I really want to help people out there who would like to start eating healthier but are maybe afraid or who don't think it's possible for them. I know a lot of healthy food blogs are intimidating. They used to make me feel so discouraged and ashamed! I'm a normal person who loves to eat food but I was able to change my attitude and relationship with it and it didn't take that long either. Not as long as I thought in the beginning. I just want everyone to realize how easy it is. I think the first thing you have to do is see what you are putting into your body. Remember that food is FUEL to our body. Our brain and other organs need certain nutrients and the way they get those nutrients is through what we put into our mouths. When you put it that way, it really makes a lot of sense to start eating a more balanced diet. Please let me know if you have any questions. There is so much information out there to help you if I'm not able to. I am still a work in progress but I would like to help others on their journey to eating better too.

I know this isn't a clean meal and I probably wouldn't make this on a regular basis just because we're eating a little better now. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be cleaned up a little! I took this picture before we made the commitment to eat clean so I thought I might as well post it since I went through all the work to get it to this point. 
I love most anything I eat but there's something so comforting about Sloppy Joes and that's what makes them one of my favorites! If there is anyone out there that still buys the canned Sloppy Joe sauce then they're missing out on the delicious goodness of homemade sauce. Pretty much anything that you can make at home is going to be better than something that comes out of a can. When you make it at home YOU control what goes in it and that way you can monitor the salt and sugar intake for your family. My husband is a huge fan of barbecue sauce so he loves this recipe that I came up with because it has more of a smokey flavor than the traditional tomato flavor. I have already fixed the recipe slightly so that it is healthier and you probably already have these ingredients in your kitchen. 






Homemade Sloppy Joes

1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
1/2 cup BBQ sauce, bottled or homemade (I used Sweet Baby Ray's)
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. ground pepper
1/8 tsp. salt
Whole wheat hamburger buns or bread
Sliced cheese (optional)
*Sliced avocado
*Spinach

1. Thaw ground beef or turkey if necessary.
2. Brown meat and drain the fat off.
3. Add the BBQ sauce, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar pepper and salt to the cooked meat. Heat through to bubbling.
4. Serve immediately on a bun with cheese, if you'd like.
Enjoy!

*Not pictured but they would be tasty and healthy additions.

No comments:

Post a Comment