Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Gingerbread Scones

So we only have less than a week until Christmas! 


Yeah, crazy right? I'm sure you all are thinking the same thing as I am. Where did this year go? It just flew by so fast. 
Last year I was six months pregnant and we still lived in our home with no intention of moving for at least the next 5 years. Well a lot has changed within that year. It's just amazing where life takes us in such a short time. 

This week I decided to try a recipe that I've never EVER made before. Well, I've never EVER made scones before! At least not this kind of scone. It was an adventure as I followed each step exactly (since I had no idea what I was doing!) I was pleasantly surprised when they turned out so fabulously! 
I also had no idea what to expect when I tasted the first one. Were scones hard or soft? What is the texture like? Well, these scones are slightly crispy on the outside but when you bite in they're so soft! I was really surprised! They are so good I think I'm going to try out some other scone recipes. Maybe after the holidays.
I can't even explain how good these are. They taste exactly like gingerbread cookies. Ginger snaps are one of my favorite cookies too so I naturally love these scones! 
One other thing that surprised me was how simple and easy it is to make such an elegant dessert! To me they look like they'd be difficult but it really wasn't hard at all!
I can't wait for you to try these! They'd be perfect for you neighbors or just for your family. 
Let me know what you think! 







Gingerbread Scones
The Taste of Home Baking Book

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup milk
1 egg, separated
Sugar

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until mixture is crumbly. In a small bowl, combine the molasses, milk and egg yolk until smooth; stir into the crumb mixture just until moistened.
2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times. Pat into an 8-in. circle; cut into 12 wedges. separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Beat egg white until frothy; brush over scones. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. 

This is about how thick it should come out.

This is how round 8 inches is. 

All 12 fit onto a regular cookie sheet.
When you start to cut them out, you need to cut it into four then cut each of those into threes. Then you'll end up with 12 equal pieces. I just started cutting and some were bigger than others but they still baked about the same. I just wanted to let you know so you wouldn't make the same mistake as I did!










No comments:

Post a Comment