Monday, February 27, 2012

Chocolate-Drizzled Cherry Bars





So this is my first blog entry for my new cooking/baking blog! I'm so excited to share recipes that I've found, tested and tasted! I hope my comments will make you want to try the same recipes (if they turn out good).
This recipe is from a cook book my Mother-in-law gave to me called The Taste Of Home Baking Book. This cookbook is so amazing! It has everything baking in it. I will probably use this cookbook quite often.
I've left notes within the recipe that I thought would help this dish be better. They are marked with an * sign.

Chocolate-Drizzled Cherry Bars
Prep: 15 min.
Bake: 35 min.
Yeild: 3 dozen


2 Cups all purpose flour
2 Cups quick cooking oats
1-1/2 Cups sugar
1-1/4 Cups butter, softened
1 Can (21 oz.) Cherry pie filling
1 teaspoon almond extract

1/4 Cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 teaspoon shortening

1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar and butter until crumbly, set aside 1-1/2 cups. * I would actually set aside 2 cups. the crust came out thick and the topping was too thin with just saving 1-1/2 cups.* Press remaining crumb mixture into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 18 minutes or until edges begin to brown. *This picture shows me putting the crust up on the sides of the pan. DO NOT DO THIS! I wished I hadn't. Make a slight incline up the side to keep the cherries in but that's it. It will turn out better.*



2. In a bowl, combine pie filling and extract; carefully spread over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
3. Bake 20 - 25 minutes longer or until edges and topping are lightly browned. In a microwave or heavy saucepan,*I used the microwave.* melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over warm bars. *use a spoon or if you want to be fancy, put chocolate in a Ziplock back with one corner cut out and pipe on the chocolate.* Cool completely on a wire rack.
This recipe turned out so good! I am highly recommending it to everyone I know. I took this over to my in-laws house for Sunday dinner and it was a hit! You could also serve it with some vanilla ice cream or whipped topping on top!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment